Tuesday 17 February 2009

A totally vintage & refashioned Fashion Show

So using the pattern from my last post, I've been sewing a storm for the Wardrobe Refashion's first ever fashion show, at this Stitches thing. I love the Wardrobe Refashion blog, and I like fashion! I'm not so much a crafty type person, but I REALLY wanted to get a garment in to the fashion show, and it's going to be my first 'real life' thing... apart from selling my clothes at work and bit by bit on my etsy store... it's (hopefully) going to be worn in the real world by a real person. The craft show looks really good though, and I've heard things are often well priced! So you might have to check it out if you like that type of thing! Woo!

So onto details about my dress for the FASHION SHOW!

I mailed Nikkishell and she told me it had to be a size 10 garment... so firstly, I chose my material:



A barkcloth (feels like it) material, that was a tablecloth, and perhaps before that a piece of material! There were no tags on it, and it was a little wonky at the hem bits... sorry to you if you sewed this 50 years ago! I sew wonky hems too!

Using tablecloths are usually great, there's heaps of material (or a challenge to make the dress pattern fit if there's not enough material!) and you're totally guaranteed a unique dress! The thing to watch out for though, are little food stains or markings (cause of its previous life) and the challenge then is to make sure none of those bits end up on your dress!

So then I grabbed out my pattern and a vintage TARGET zipper to match! Yay for thriftiness!



And so far so good! I'm finishing the zipper and collar lining now, so I'll have pics up soon. It is a little big for me, and differently shaped, so it'll be fine for the FASHION SHOW, and once I make the red dress (as I'd previously planned to make) I'll alter it a bit.

Hope your week is going well! I'm not blogging as much as I'd like to this year. A bit sad, and a bit too long in the sewing room. Perhaps I should sign up for one of those 'Tuesday is...' or 'Desky Day'... those blog-a-longs that make you post a lot... have you got any ideas of what I can do?

AWESOME! Take care of you and your loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being awesome and a total darling, leave a message!

Dongmen Lu Fabric Market

Happy Wednesday! Time to get some fabric inspiration from the Dongmen Lu Fabric Market here in Shanghai! Can't believe how quickly 201...