Saturday 10 December 2011

Sew Weekly: Burda Style Babe Dress



This year has been really great for me sewing wise. Thanks to Mena at Sew Weekly, I've been constantly sewing, learning and laughing along the way with my fellow Sew Weekly gals. I'm amazed to be part of such a supportive online community, and it's honestly been such a wonderful year sewing along with Mena, Debi, Adey and Sarah. Even as it's approaching the end of sewing weekly for me, explaining what I've been doing here online and in my sewing room to people in real life just baffles them: "You do WHAT each week?", and if they get around to looking at the photos on Mena's site, they're like "WHAT?" and quite often "WHY?".

Why do we sew, blog and chit chat together? I'm sure we all have our different reasons why we do it... and this year, I'm SO proud that I've achieved so much here! I was determined (always setting my own personal goals) to not skip a week in the Sew Weekly, and use thrifted fabrics as much as possible. My sewing outlook is about recycling and using fabrics from the op shops, and whilst I love a good quality fabric store like the rest of us, I just try to cut down on all waste from our household so "Not Buying New" is part of that. I'm also about saving money, and I've made some wonderful things this year that I'll wear again and again... all for under $10.


But, a thrifty seamstress does like a few perks, no? AND, back when Mena told us we'd be sewing our own interpretation of a garment featured in the Burda Style Sewing Handbook, and a copy of the book would be sent to us, I almost flipped out. It's a stunning book, and I'm not shy to say that I pretty much loved Jen's version of the dress, so tried to emulate that ASAP! I've just seen that she's blogged it as well, with a lovely close up of the original dress!

My version has a few different tweaks, which is the beauty of the book... it explains how to tweak the pattern to your style, and your shape. I made the skirt fuller, like Jen's version and I had a little re-sizing to do. In my Sew Weekly post I try to explain all the changes I did! But now that I've worn it out a few times, people just LOVE the sides and I feel about the skinniest mini wearing it. It's so flattering for curves!


And just perfect for bike riding!

Over summer holidays (I'm getting Boxing Day and the next day this year) I'll write up my thoughts of the entire year at Sew Weekly, but to have such a challenge, and be so close to completing it... like I said before... I'm just AMAZED. What the HELL will I do next year?



Kisses to you, and I've got a few more Sew Weekly posts for you in the next week (just to catch you up) BUT, such big news: The Hair has been coloured. AND in a total weird makeover turn of events: I got my EARS PIERCED. I'm 33 years old, and just got my ears pierced for the first time. Yep. It's all happening! (LOL). Photos soon xoxo


5 comments:

  1. YAY! Loved hearing your reflections on Sew Weekly--I did some as part of my blogiversary week and it's been wild to reflect back on the whole process...I can't wait to read more. I just adore this dress and the polka dots on the side! So great! And congrats on getting your ears pierced :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been inspirational following you on this journey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! It has been so much fun watching all your creations this year. I am hoping next year to sew a lot more than I did this year. With the wedding and europe trip this year was a bit slow on the sewing front for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a fantastic year! Your creations have been so inspiring and beautiful, and it is pretty cool that you kept to your schedule with so much work stuff happening, and moving house too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! And I also love this dress - it is extremely cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being awesome and a total darling, leave a message!

Dongmen Lu Fabric Market

Happy Wednesday! Time to get some fabric inspiration from the Dongmen Lu Fabric Market here in Shanghai! Can't believe how quickly 201...