Saturday 23 June 2012

What to Wear for Winter: A few more weeks



The Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, has become a big deal for me and I'm so happy it came around this week. I'm not sure if it's living in Melbourne that makes me see it as a 'turning point' in winter, or if it's a marker that half the year has already passed? It always feels to me that July or August is 'mid year' for some reason, so I love the reminder that our days will get longer and less dark.

Anyways, it was also my week of entering the third trimester! I've been given 4 due dates in September throughout this pregnancy, and I haven't really been fussed to focus on the weeks because of those changing estimates. The baby will be born when it's ready to be born, but the medical system needs a due date! My midwife investigated and locked in September 12th, if you're wondering... and that's the same due date as NZ blogger & seamstress Kat! HOW funny, and I love a good qwinky dink! She's been sewing heaps of maternity gear this year along with the Sew Weekly themes, so you should go and check out her stuff.

As for me, I probably have a few good weeks of these warm winter jackets (pictured above at the train station) but I have a spare larger handmade jacket to don once these don't do up. My first handmade jacket was always too big, but I don't have the heart to ditch it because it took a lot of time & effot and the fabric was quite expensive at the time (a brown herringbone wool, that matched my red boots). Hopefully our freezing and darkest days are behind us as this year now turns with the passing of Winter Solstice.

Can you tell I've been watching Game of Thrones? I'm so wistful at the moment, and searching for poetry.

ANYWAYS, you may laugh, but I have been planning & thinking about some In Utero updates for you and I *have* been sewing (and a little op shopping) lately... as always, pinning myself (and Husbie) down for some daylight photographs is tricky. What's been really interesting, however, is that my sense of control & organising & producing is becoming more carefree, and fluid... and the hormones & feelings with this pregnancy tells me to just 'Let things go', 'relax' (I love that one) and a bit of 'This too shall pass'... so I'm kind of following my feelings and not pushing things. Just going with the flow...

And why not? Time moves so fast, it's just so lovely to go slow and enjoy these life changes.

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Awwwww, It's making me miss being pregnant.
    I'm still going with a girl for you, that bump looks very round and feminine (lolz)! Enjoy these days, you are right in the middle of the best bit- round and gorgeous and can still move about!
    xxxRenae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos - your bump sticking out of your jacket is so cute and winter-pregnancy! :-) I haven't been able to do my coats up for weeks - hoping the bump doesn't get too cold ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad all is going well for you! I thought I would bring my news to you since I'm sure you're not reading that many blogs - I'm also preggers! December 19 is my date, poor christmas child that it'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have a range of dates to choose from - my first was 14 days late and my second was 6 days late, and the waiting drove me insane. As if I couldn't wait an extra week or two after being preggers for 40 weeks, but those overdue days were the slowest! I know this is your baby (and I've just had my own baby) but I'm really excited for you, and can't wait till you have your bub in your arms

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being awesome and a total darling, leave a message!

Dongmen Lu Fabric Market

Happy Wednesday! Time to get some fabric inspiration from the Dongmen Lu Fabric Market here in Shanghai! Can't believe how quickly 201...