Tuesday 1 June 2010

Colour Combo!

I'm not really one to mix materials or patterns or fabrics, and have started to feel a little conservative in my fabric choice for a garment. I usually make the whole thing from the same piece of fabric, even if the pattern points out a different colour for the collar or cuffs. I once chose a white collar for a dress and after washing the black dress, couldn't live with myself after that.

But! I found another pattern, from Amanda's Vintage Pattern collection, that I'd like to make, how freaking cute is it:


I'm going to call this one the Adelaide Dress 8168, because of the newspapers it came from, and Amanda is from Adelaide too. At first when I took it out of the little plastic bag, I was worried all the pattern pieces weren't there, because it was just so little and light:


Luckily all the pattern pieces were there! I've measured it out and it's perhaps a size or two too big for me, but as you can see from my little notes, I've tried to adjust to my petite bod. If this works out too big, I'll remake it as it's a HOT DRESS! Here's the fabric I chose, all thrifted again:


The coloured stripes feel really summery but sturdy, and the purple stuff is a little heavier and stiff, and perfect for the the middle band (that's just around the from waist). The pattern has facings also, and because of my lack of stripes I've got for them instead of my own full lining designs (very proud of the black/white floral dress last week). So fingers crossed this mix matching colour combo works ok, I'm a little bit weirded out by sewing too different fabrics, but I'm guessing that if they feel the same thickness (and they do) then it's not going to be too crazy.

Oh well! Talk to you soon!

7 comments:

  1. cant wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pattern, cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I just see you on the 1st Tuesday book club? Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stripey fabric, the colours are gorgeous.

    PS. Am watching Tuesday Night Book Club and I swear I just saw you in Pride and Prejudice. Am I right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! I totally forgot to tell everyone to watch it too, I was that busy this week! Thanks for visiting my blog too darlings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you're making this one - it's so cute! I also love your fabric choice and I have faith in your multi-fabric management skills! How I long for the days when all the state newspapers had a pattern service... (that's where this one came from)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being awesome and a total darling, leave a message!

Dongmen Lu Fabric Market

Happy Wednesday! Time to get some fabric inspiration from the Dongmen Lu Fabric Market here in Shanghai! Can't believe how quickly 201...